Thursday, October 22, 2009

Photography....

Some of you may be aware that I aspire to be a good picture taker. I occasionally succeed with some stunning pictures, but I am sure a better eye and understanding of the nuances of all the myriad camera settings could only enhance the result (that, and having camera with at all times!).

Of course, some pictures can be helped with the suite of photoshop tools available. Who of us does not need to lighted/darken a picture, rotate or crop it? Recently I have discovered 2 things that I want to add to my repertoire of tools. HDR and image stitching.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) can be tricky, and really only works well with a tripod and static pictures. In essence, you take several pictures, at different exposures, and then combine the best of all the images. The results can subtly enhance your picture, or be quite dramatic. I have only begun my road towards working with this method, with some success.

Image stitching - if you ever want to have your pictures put to poster, you will find that even today's high mexapixel cameras won't get you there without some graininess. One solution is to take mutliple pictures, and use softare to stitch them together. Here is one stunning example of what can be achieved.


If any of you has had success with toolsets that help automate these processes, please, feel free to share. I am currently on the free kick, so am using GIMP for HDR work. Stitching is harder, and am working with a trial version of Panograph.

I will share more with you as I have successes and failures to report.

2 comments:

ruminations said...

Very complicated. I hope Sonya
is reading your blog. Maybe she will know what you are writing
about. My most succesful photos
were taken 70 years ago with a
wonderful camera called THE BROWNY
BOX.

Holly said...

I had a Brownie....loved that little camera.