Friday, February 14, 2014

My Princess Bride









Not everyone (gasp) knows about The Princess Bride.  A beloved movie in our family, made all the more so because it has been one of my favorites since I read the book.  Book you say?  You did not know there was a book?  Wait no further and get yourself a copy and enjoy!

Most consider this a fluff movie.  Good for quotes that can be used in nearly every occasion of life, until those who love you form a "Princess Bride quote overuse intervention".  But I digress.

This movie, and more so the book, teach at least one valuable lesson.  Life is not fair.
Oh, but how we want it to be.  We invent ways for the scales of justice to even out, right the wrongs.  In the end, everything will be OK right?  But when we grow up, we learn this is not the case.  Good people suffer, bad people prosper.  Some are blessed with health, good looks, a good birthright, while others are born with disabilities, in poverty, under a cloud of war.   The playing field does not start out even, and does not get balanced out over time.

Amidst this heavy topic, is the silver lining.  No, the playing field may never even out, and fairness may not rule.  But love does.  In this life - no matter what else life throws at you - love.  Love makes the bitterest pill sweet , the harshest truth a trifle, and when life is not so encumbered - a glorious thing indeed.

When you find someone to share love with deeply - know it is a good thing.  The very reason you exist.  Tell them you love them constantly... show them you love them even more often.  Give them all your love, because a love kept is no love at all.


In the book and movie, we are told that this book is about
"Fencing.  Fighting. Torture.  Poison.  True Love.  Hate.  Revenge.  Giants.  Hunters.  Bad men.  Good men.  Beautifulest ladies.  Snakes.  Spiders.  Beasts of all natures and descriptions.  Pain.  Death.  Brave men.  Coward men.  Strongest men.  Chases.  Escapes. Lies.  Truths.  Miracles."
My life certainly is not high adventured as that.  But I do get some of it.
True Love. Beautifulest ladies. Truths. Miracles.  Not too shabby if you ask me!

True Love.   Who doesn't want this in their life?  Yet how many can confidently claim this?  I know I am beyond blessed in this life, to have found, loved and married Holly, my true love.  I wish this upon everyone - for it makes life sparkle and shine.

Beautifulest ladies.  So yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  And I am certainly more than partial.  Yet I feel quite certain that anyone who knows Holly sees just how multifaceted is her beauty.  A radiant spirit, brave soul, giving heart, kind demeanor.  And of course simply lovely to look at.  So yeah... remember the life is not fair thing?  In this case, I got more than I deserved!

Truths.  One of the most freeing things in life if being able to be yourself, no holds barred.  And to be loved just as you are.  I have lived the converse in what seems like a past life - and there is no hell deeper than denying yourself... or heaven higher than being yourself and loved - not in spite of it, but because of it.   I am grateful to be known and loved as I am.

Miracles.  Look - I am not the most spiritual person around.  Not sure I believe in miracles per se.  That said, I have no problems in labeling Holly and I a miracle.  We are both second chance miracles.  Lived 2000 miles apart - families and circumstances certainly not in favor of our current unity.  Yet here we are.  And I thank whatever divine power made "us" possible.

I will leave this short missive now, with the only sign-off that could be used...




No comments: